For over 100 years, the YMCA has been one of America’s favorite swim instructors and a leader in water safety. Our proven curriculum and friendly environment enhance skills, all while having fun.
At the Y, swimming is a life skill. We offer a wide selection of preschool, school age, teen, and adult swim lessons that build strong and confident swimmers. It uses a problem-solving, guided-discovery teaching approach in a positive, caring environment. All age groups are taught the same skills but divided according to their developmental milestones.
The Y’s new swim lesson progression curriculum is designed to help participants reach their goals and provide a clear progression track.
Benefits of this approach include:
- Accommodating students of varying abilities and ages
- Fostering a sense of achievement and self-confidence
- Staying grounded in a skill continuum that allows students to move easily from one stage to the next with clearly defined stages of progress along the way. See detailed information on the new skills taught in each of the stages
- Encouraging students to have fun and develop new friendships through group activities
- Improving communication about student’s progress
Students can register for one of eight stages under our three swim categories depending upon their age and current swim ability. Search for the appropriate swim group and/or lessons below and reserve your spot today!
SWIM BASICS | STAGES 1, 2, & 3
Recommended skills for all to have around water
Students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning two benchmark skills: Swim, float, swim – sequencing front glide, roll, back float, roll, front glide, and exit.
SWIM STROKES | STAGES 4, 5 & 6
Skills to support a healthy lifestyle
Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills and build stroke technique, developing skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
PRIVATE SWIM LESSONS
Learn to swim one-on-one with an experienced instructor - certified in CPR, AED and First Aid.
Ages: 3+ Years
Questions? Contact us!
Paula Féde, Aquatics Coordinator
601-664-1955 or at firstname.lastname@example.org