If you’re 15 or older and looking for a great summer or year-round job that’s in high demand, the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training that the YMCA offers is the best place to start. Lifeguarding lets you work as part of a team to help people safely enjoy the water. You could even save a life!
We are excited to offer you American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Course which includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer (CPRO), first aid, equipment-based rescues for aquatic environments, accident prevention, and decision-making skills.
Must attend all classes in one session to receive certification.
2023 Upcoming Dates at the Flowood YMCA:
Cost is $225 for members and $300 for community members along with the requirements listed below.
- Must be 15 years or older by the last day of Lifeguard Certification class
- Able to tread water for 2 minutes using only your legs
- Swim continuously the 300-yd using front crawl and /or breaststroke
- From a deck start, swim to and pick up a 10-pound brick off the bottom of the pool and return with brick on chest to side and exit water within 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Complete all eLearning modules and final exam prior to the 1st face to face class meeting and must show evidence prior to first class meeting
- Complete CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and First Aid prior to the 1st face to face class meeting
To receive a lifeguard certification a candidate must:
- Attend 100% of all classes in one sessions
- Arrive on time for all classes
- Participate 100% in all classes
- Pass written and skills test
- Demonstrate maturity, respect, and responsibility regardless of passing written and skill test
- Candidates unable to perform all the skills necessary to receive certification by the last day of the class will be granted 48 hours to schedule a retest with the instructor
Learning is fun and easy! Through videos, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn:
- Rescue skills for use in the water and on land
- First aid and professional rescuer CPR/AED training to help you prepare for any emergency
- Professional lifeguard responsibilities
- Surveillance skills to help you recognize and prevent injuries
Select the type of program you’re looking for from our menu below: