“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” -Benjamin Franklin
In order to strengthen our community, we want to provide resources to assist in the fight against substance abuse. In recent years, the Opioid Crisis has become a health emergency that is impacting people of all ages and socioeconomic status. The YMCA wants to help address these issues through providing resources to help you understand the epidemic, learn how to combat it from a family level, learn curriculum resources, and fight it through proper prescription medicine disposal.
*If you’re having a substance abuse issue, call 1-800-662-HELP to talk specifics with someone trained.*
Understanding the Opioid Crisis
- To learn about what’s going on, watch this 15 minute video
- Learn the facts about opioids
- Prescription opioid basics
- How to safely store your medications
- Talking with your kids about substance abuse
- Start talking to your kids about drugs and alcohol
- Activities for family building and preventing drug use
- Answer your child’s tough questions
- Signs of opioid use disorder
- Real opioid stories to watch
- Real opioid stories to read
Help for family members addicted to prescription drugs.
Find resources for how to support people through addiction and beyond.
Do you have extra pain medication lying around your house? If so, please work to dispose of it in a way that will keep those pills out of someone’s hand. The best way is to order a free disposal kit can be found on the Mississippi Rx Disposal website.
For a map of MS locations where you can safely dispose of your medications, Click Here.
This tab is supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of a financial assistance award totaling $5,478,106.00 with 100 percent funded by CDC/HHS. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by CDC/HHS, or the U.S. Government.