What Is Boot Camp?
Boot camp, a free group exercise class for members at the Metropolitan YMCAs of Mississippi, is an energetic, high intensity 60-minute workout that is always changing. Some boot camp group exercise classes use no equipment, while others integrate more equipment. Boot camp focuses on cardio and strengthening exercises such as running, burpees, push-ups, and many more. Whatever workout your instructor has planned, each will have a different method and you will be guaranteed a great workout. Expect some soreness after the workout, but rest assured, it will be the soreness that makes you feel like a champ!
Who Takes Boot Camp?
Boot camp is for everyone, both beginners and long-time participants. The instructors of this group exercise class will adjust the difficulty of the class to fit your needs and level. Ultimately, the difficulty of the class will depend on your determination. The instructor will push you to your limits, but will not overwork you. Although boot camp is perceived as an advanced group exercise class, it opens its doors to all who are willing to work hard and enjoy the pain!
What To Wear
- Comfortable athletic wear (try to avoid things that are extra loose fitting)
- Comfortable sneakers
What To Bring
- LOTS of water
Tips From Others On Boot Camp Group Exercise
Mary, Flowood YMCA
My whole body gets a great workout and it makes me feel great throughout the day since its early in the morning. After a good boot camp group exercise session, I have such a better outlook on my day. If you’re nervous, you can just come by and watch a session or join in after some observation. It’s very flexible. Jill and Karen are WONDERFUL instructors for the Flowood YMCA’s boot camp group exercise classes.
Sara, Flowood YMCA
The instructor of boot camp at the Flowood YMCA, RaShard, is very motivating and invests a lot of time setting up the workout area and planning the exercises. He always changes it up and you never know what to expect, which keeps you on your toes and the class always fresh! After attending many of his sessions, he has yet to repeat a workout routine. It’s a lot of fun and a great way to jumpstart the day. Come ready to work and push yourself farther than you think you can go!
Boot Camp Benefits
- Whole-body Exercise: In a 60-minute workout, your whole body will be worked.
- You’re in Control: Yes, this is one of the more difficult and vigorous group exercise classes that is offered at the YMCA, but ultimately, you’re in charge.
- Social Interaction: Due to the intensity of boot camp, a natural sense of camaraderie among the participants is created. You will definitely be able to meet new people and interact in this free group exercise class.
- Physical Benefits: Strength, endurance, agility and weight loss.
Now that you know all about boot camp, it’s time for you to try it out yourself!
Click Here for Bootcamp Class Schedule.